AWS CloudWatch Integration Guide
AWS CloudWatch provides monitoring for Amazon Web Services (AWS) and the applications that run on AWS. CloudWatch metrics play a critical role in the monitoring of the applications running on AWS cloud. A CloudWatch alarm can watch a single metric over a specified time period and execute automated actions based on the value of the watched metric and given threshold.
AWS CloudWatch triggers user defined alarms by watching metrics. PagerTree acts as the dispatcher for these alarms, determining the right people to notify based on on-call schedules. PagerTree notifies them via email, sms, voice, and/or push notifications until the alert is acknowledged or closed.
The AWS CloudWatch integration is one-way, meaning:
- When an alarm is triggered (
ALARMstate) in AWS CloudWatch, an alert is created in PagerTree automatically.
- When the alarm is closed (
OKstate) in AWS CloudWatch, the alert is resolved in PagerTree automatically.
In this integration tutorial we will show you how to send alarms from AWS CloudWatch to AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS) into PagerTree. The estimated time for this integration is 15 minutes. We assume that you already have a PagerTree and AWS account setup.
- From the action button, click the “Create Integration” button.
- In the “Create Integration” box, fill out the following:
- Name of the Integration.
- Select the Type to AWS CloudWatch
- Select an appropriate Urgency for when this integration is triggered
- Select the Team this alert will be assigned to
- Click Save
- Copy the Endpoint URL
- In the SNS Console, click “Create Topic”
- Enter a Topic name (ex: “pagertree_integration”) and a Display name (ex: “pagertree”), then click “Create Topic”.
- Now that your topic has been created, click “Create Subscription”
- Select HTTPS as the Protocol and paste the PagerTree Endpoint URL as the Endpoint
- Your subscription should be automatically confirmed. Click the refresh icon and ensure the Subscription ID is not PendingConfirmation.
- Go to your EC2 Instances Console. Right click on the instance that you would like to monitor, and select CloudWatch Monitoring -> Add/Edit Alarms
- Click Create Alarm
- Select your new notification topic from the drop down menu, configure the settings that would like to trigger the alarm, and click “Create Alarm”
- At this point you PagerTree will create an alert if the alarm fires. To configure auto-resolve click the Alarm Link in the dialog box
- With the new alarm selected, click Actions -> Modify
- In the Actions section of the Modify Alarm window, click “+ Notification”
- Select the following values
- Whenever this alarm: State is OK
- Send notification to: your new notification topic
- Click “Save Changes”
You have successfully completed the AWS CloudWatch Integration. Now when AWS CloudWatch creates an alarm, PagerTree will create an alert and route it to the correct team member that is on-call. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org