Twilio (Incoming SMS) Integration Guide
Twilio (Incoming SMS) Integration
Twilio is a cloud communications platform for building SMS, Voice & Messaging applications on an API built for global scale.
- Twilio Incoming SMS (incoming sms message) - Continue reading this page
- Twilio Live Call Routing (incoming phone call) - See Twilio Live Call Routing
How Twilio users benefit from PagerTree
Twilio users can route incoming SMS messages to on-call customer support. PagerTree acts as the dispatcher for incoming sms messages, determining the right people to notify based on on-call schedules. PagerTree notifies them via email, sms, voice, and/or push notifications until the alert is acknowledged or closed.
Functionality of Integration
The Twilio (Incoming SMS) integration is one-way, meaning:
- When a new sms comes in from Twilio, an alert is created in PagerTree automatically.
In this integration tutorial we will show you how to route an incoming SMS from Twilio into PagerTree. The estimated time for this integration is 5 minutes. We assume that you already have a PagerTree and Twilio account setup.
If you haven’t already, sign-up for a free Twilio account using this link. The link will give you $10 free credit if you decide to continue with Twilio after the trial.
- From the action button, click the “Create Integration” button.
- In the “Create Integration” box, fill out the following:
- Name of the Integration.
- Select the Type to Twilio (Incoming SMS)
- Select an appropriate Urgency for when this integration is triggered
- Select the Team this alert will be assigned to
- Click Save
- Copy the Endpoint URL
In Twilio - Configure a Phone Number
- If you haven’t already, upgrade to a paid Twilio account.
- If you haven’t already, buy a phone number.
- Navigate to your purchased number Phone Numbers -> Manage Numbers -> Active Numbers.
- Select the phone number that will be used for incoming SMS.
- On the Phone Number Configure Tab, under Messaging -> A Message Comes In
- Paste the PagerTree Endpoint URL you copied earlier
- Ensure the type is Webhook
- Ensure the action is HTTP POST
- Click Save —
You have successfully completed the Twilio (Incoming SMS) Integration. Now when a SMS is received by your Twilio phone number, PagerTree will create an alert and route it to the correct team member currently that is on-call. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org